I have a thing for creative walls. Normally I go all out and paint, like the Vintage Mickey Mouse in Oliver’s nursery or the T-Rex, dinosaur skeleton in Logan’s bedroom.
Logan’s T-Rex Room
Unfortunately it becomes devastating (and hard work) when you move and then it isn’t so much fun. To prove my love for covering walls, I give you my Pinterest wall board, which excludes all book shelves as wall decoration, because honestly – book shelves deserve their own board!
Why a Triangle Wall?
I’ve developed a mini-crush on triangles. It may have something to do with the geometric design trend going on, but really I will deny the connection with everything in me. Perhaps it is simple because triangles are a lot easier to cut out than circles? Circles being my first crush…
- Vinyl on a roll
- Stanley knife
- Chopping board
- Go to your local hardware or art shop and purchase a roll of vinyl.
- Wipe the wall / surface with a cloth to prevent the vinyl from peeling
- Decide on the size, angles and dimensions of the triangles. I didn’t want a flat triangle and my weekend brain wasn’t having any of it.
- Try and maximize on vinyl. Calculate to make sure, you are using all of the vinyl without wasting a couple of centimeters on the ends.
- Clear your work station
- Roll out the vinyl, mark out the triangles and cut the triangles with the Stanley knife on the chopping board
- Once you’ve cut all your triangles, removed the vinyl from the paper and stick it in the pattern of your choice, on the surface of choice.
In the first picture above I had started making space when I decided to take my before picture. The second picture was my initial pattern, the triangles were spaced closely together and had a tight sequence. Two meters of vinyl wasn’t enough and strangely, the patter was a bit too overwhelming and dark. I slowly starting “breaking” the tight sequence and allowing my eye to guide me in the placing of triangles. It was pretty liberating!
Best of all, it took me three hours all in all and ended up being a.) therapeutic and b.) a lot of fun.